Colpitts Ranches Commentary
Located on the west side of Calgary, Colpitts Ranches was established by James Colpitts in 1921. Originally it was a silver fox farm that came to be known as a source of valuable pelts sold on the world market. Concurrently, and for almost 90 years, it was a dairy farm that produced and processed milk products for the city of Calgary.
Registered Holsteins with the CRF prefix produced over a million litres of milk yearly on a high fiber diet. As the herd achieved provincial renown for production and conformation, breeeding stock were sold throughout western Canada - just as valuable as the silver fox genetics had been decades earlier.
Since 2009, when the Holsteins were sold, production on the west ranche has been:
- Grass and legume forage for horses and cattle
- Annual crops of barley, wheat, peas or canola
- Angus crossbred cattle fortunate to graze in cow paradise
Colpitts Ranches is owned and operated by:
|The Zink Family||Core Staff|
|Joe Zink||James Herle|
|Cathy Zink||Rob Wells|